Wednesday, January 3, 2007

So what ELSE could possibly go wrong?

OK, so another trip to the vet tonight, this time with Nicki. She had developed a slight limp a couple of days ago. We thought maybe she just hurt herself jumping off the bed or something. But since it wasn't improving, we thought it best to get it looked at.
The vet takes one look at her walk and says, "I think she has diabetes." He does a test. Her blood sugar is 24.8. What should it be? Between 4 and 8! So, yeah, her blood sugar is a little high! OK, so what does this entail? Well, she needs insulin, twice a day, every day. She will need to come to the vet once a week for about 6-8 weeks to get her blood sugar tested. She needs to be on a special diet. Good Lord!
I am so happy it's treatable, but how am I possibly going to pay for everything? The "special" diet food is outrageous! Is there enough time in the day for me to get a THIRD job?
I am sure I'll manage somehow. It's just so overwhelming.
What ELSE could possibly go wrong?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, sorry to hear about Nicki's diabetes! :(
I hope the treatment and special food help her health improve... but at the same time, I hope it doesn't put you in the poor house! :S

Hugs,
Barb